2018 To Garrison the Fort – Gists Scouts at Fort Frederick F&I War
To Garrison the Fort – Gists Scouts at Fort Frederick F&I War: March 24-25, 2018 at Fort Frederick State Park in Big Pool, Maryland. Experience life at the fort during the French and Indian War as members of the recreated 17th Virginia Company “Gist’s Scouts” garrison the fort. Highlights of the event include musket firing presentations, hearth cooking demonstrations, a uniform and clothing talk and military drills.
Hours: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm Saturday, and 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Sunday. Park entrance fees apply.
Visitors will get a firsthand look at the war which pitted the French and their Indian allies against the British and their Indian allies. Fought between 1756 and 1763, the battle brought destruction to the Maryland frontier, forever changing the landscape of North America. The To Garrison the Fort program allows visitors to travel back in time and participate in the daily activities performed by the soldiers and women stationed at the fort during the French and Indian War.
Highlights of the two-day “To Garrison the Fort” event include:
* Fort Frederick Flag Raising at 10 a.m.
* Fort Frederick Flag Lowering at 4 p.m.
* Musket Firing at 10:30 and 11:30 a.m.
* Musket Firing at 12:30, 1:30, 2:30, 3:30 and 4:30 p.m.
* Volunteer Company Drill at 1 and 4 p.m.
* Military Music at 12 p.m.
* Join a Ranging Party on patrol 2 p.m.
* Reenactors will also teach visitors how to load a 6-pound cannon at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. on both days. (The cannon will not be fired during the program.) Throughout the weekend, a wide variety of living history demonstrations will take place in the barracks.
Fort Frederick State Park
11100 Fort Frederick Road
Big Pool, MD 21711
About Fort Frederick
Fort Frederick was one of the largest frontier fortifications built during the French and Indian War. It occupies an area of 1.5 acres, and it was built to stand up to a major military assault. The fort’s massive stone walls are 4.5 feet thick at the base. Inside the fort, two large barracks buildings face each other across the parade ground. The fort is open and inside the walls you can tour the two barracks buildings. They are furnished with sleeping quarters, workshops and offices, just as they would have been during the mid-18th century.
Mark your calendar today so you don’t miss the next “To Garrison the Fort – Gists Scouts at Fort Frederick F&I War” at Fort Frederick State Park in Big Pool, Maryland.
Tags: To Garrison the Fort – Gists Scouts at Fort Frederick F&I War, To Garrison Fort Frederick F&I War, French & Indian War Reenactment