Oak Grove Plantation at Averasboro Battlefield
Godwin, NC 28334 United States 910-489-2907
The Oak Grove Plantation at Averasboro Battlefield in Godwin, North Carolina, is the venue of the annual Oak Grove Plantation Civil War Reenactment Battle of Black River. The home was built about 1793 by John Smith for his bride Isabella Campbell, Oak Grove was owned by the Smith Family until 1875. John ran the Smith’s Ferry so the house was located a mile from the ferry site. Walter Douglas Smith bought the house from his widow, Eliza Blake Smith, and lived there til 1899. Owned by the WP Holt family, James Byrd, Phil Byrd and in 2006 sold to Ron Lewis. Oak Grove was moved across the street from its original location and has been lovingly restored now by the Lewis Family.
Oak Grove Plantation is one of three original plantations on the Averasboro Battlefield that was used as a hospital during the Civil War battle The plantation is located on Hwy 82 near Dunn and Erwin, North Carolina. Ron has finished his beautiful job of restoring. Our first Living History and encampment was held March 1-2, 2014. We also held a Christmas @ Oak Grove Dec 2014. Feb 28-March 1, 2015 we will be honoring our ancestors who fought during the Battle of Averasboro 150 years ago.